ABOUT OUR TEAMS
B2D is home to various competition teams for dancers between the ages of 7 and 17, with skill levels ranging from beginner to advanced. We’re currently home to over a dozen competition teams in Hip Hop, Contemporary, Jazz, and Tap.
While our teams’ focus is on competition, our mantra encompasses a broader range of objectives, including building a strong dance foundation, embracing the spirit of collaborative team work, and exercising the highest sportsmanship at all times.
–COMPETITION SEASON RESULTS:
For the past four seasons since we launched the competition team program, our teams and dancers have earned wide recognition at the various regional competition events we attended. The teams received countless first place scores, won various special judges awards, and received a slew of high-platinum adjudication awards. A few of our dancers were also honored with the Ms. Title award, which is the highest award given to soloists.
Our coaches have also won various accolades for their choreography work, including Best Choreography and Best Staging, Precision & Execution, awards. The studio itself was honored with the much-coveted Top Studio award at the prestigious WCTE competition.
2020/21 Competition Teams:
For the upcoming season, starting September 2020, B2D is proud to be home to the following teams and coaches:
- beliEVErs Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Eve
- FLARE Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Catelynn
- INSCAPE Team (Hip Hop) with Mr. Demetrius
- GENESIS Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Nikki
- BETA Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Amanda
- THEO Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Nikki
- DELTA Team (Hip Hop) with Ms. Jodeci
- IMPACT Team (Jazz) with Ms. Laura
- SPARX Team (Jazz) with Ms. Amanda
- KINETIC Team (Jazz) with Ms. Amanda**NEW**
- INFERNO Team (Contemporary) with Ms. Laura**NEW**
- SYNERGY Team (Contemporary) with Ms. Amanda
- IGNITE Team (Contemporary) with Ms. Laura
- OPSIS Team (Contemporary) with Ms. Abby
- MELODIC Team (Tap) with Ms. Jodeci
2020/2021 Competition Audition:
New season auditions are now open! Due to the pandemic, we are offering in-person auditions, as well as video submission-based auditions for dancers who’re unavailable or unwilling to attend auditions in person. Review these videos covering our Safety Protocols and the Testing of those protocols.
Once the season starts, we’ll also be live-streaming rehearsals for those members who prefer to attend virtually from home. Visit the audition page below for details.
The teams rehearse year-round, with a heavily reduced schedule during the Summer. Rehearsal is between 1.5 to 2 hours per week for most teams, typically falling on weekday early evenings or on weekend afternoons (varies by team.) Rehearsals begin in earnest in the Fall session (September). Team members are also required to take one technique class per session.
We typically participate in 4 regional competitions starting in February and ending in May. This season, however, we will participate in three events starting in March to limit our exposure. If we deem any of these events unsafe, we will opt for the virtual submission option (we tape the performance in class and submit the entry via video.)
In addition to competition events, our teams also perform at our semi-annual recitals, held in the Spring and Fall at the prestigious Rachel Schlesinger Concert Hall.
In addition to being part of a team, dancers also have the opportunity to participate in solo, duet, or trio entries. There are specific guidelines on how to apply for such entries. Once a dancer becomes part of our competition team program, we will provide them with full details on the process.
- Recurring Team Dues:
- Cover the weekly team rehearsal fees.
- The fees are $19 per rehearsal hour (e.g. $152 every 4 weeks in the case of teams meeting for two hours per week).
- The fees are prorated to reflect any days off or rescheduling for the team rehearsal.
- The fees are billed directly to the card on file every 4 weeks in advance, typically during the week preceding the 4-week billing period.
- Dancers in more than one B2D competition team will receive a 10% discount on their second (or third or fourth, if applicable) team’s billing.
- Competition: Entry Fees:
- Cover the fees paid to each Competition on behalf of the dancer.
- The fees vary by competition, with an estimated range of $45 to $65 per competition (based on 2020 season.)
- Competition: Studio Fees:
- Cover the team director, staff, and administrative fees incurred by the studio in the course of managing and attending competition.
- The fee is $40 per local competition event.
- Costume Fees and Hair/Makeup/Accessories Fees:
- Cover the costume and “team-look” requirements beyond the basic attire, including the Makeup Kit.
- The fee varies, with a range of $30 to $90 for costumes, and $25 to $35 for Makeup Kits, per competition season.
- Team Gear Fees:
- Cover the studio-specific warm-up jacket/top that all teams are required to wear to competition (before and after their performance), as well as a Team T-Shirt, which dancers wear to festivals or other events in which the teams are participating.
- The team gear may or may not change for every competition season.
- When dancers outgrow their size, they will be required to purchase a new one.
- In the 2019/2020 season, the warmup jacket cost $49 and the T-shirt cost $19.50
- Travel & Lodging Fees:
- Not applicable. All the events we attend are regional, typically taking place in Woodbridge, VA
- Mandatory Private Lessons:
- Cover the fees for the private lesson required when a dancer misses class within the allowable absence limits but is determined to not have sufficiently learned the material covered during their absence (SEE ATTENDANCE section)
- Covers the fees for the privates lessons required when a dancer misses more classes than the allowable absence limits and is granted exemption to continue with the team (SEE ATTENDANCE section)
- The fee for the private lesson is $85 per hour.
- The fees are billed through the credit card submitted on the B2D Private Lesson Form.