ABOUT B2D URBAN GAMES
Building on the Dance Cup tournament’s old format, the all-new Urban Games showcase is B2D’s newest dance-recital-meets-competition-meets-talent-show event! Urban Games brings you a tournament structure that is designed to foster collaboration and team unity, as well as reward dancers with meaningful awards that encourage further training and provide new performance opportunities. The new structure is as follows:
A total of three divisions will compete in the tournament:
1) The Rec division featuring Recital classes for beginner and advanced-beginner students
2) The Select division featuring by-invitation classes made up of more experienced dancers who are hand-picked by B2D faculty
3) The Self-Choreographed division featuring Duets, Trios, and Small Groups of students who apply to present their own choreography
A three-judge panel will adjudicate the performances similar to the old dance cup setup, but with the notable difference being that all three judges are outsiders not directly affiliated with B2D.
For awards, the old medals and trophies are gone! Instead, all awards come in the form of future training or performance opportunities, along with tokens of recognitions. The awards for winning teams include:
- Shoot a video of the performance piece at a later date to create a concept video
- Present the piece on stage at our next Recital (applies to self-choreographed entries)
- Receive scholarships in the form of free tickets to our Master Classes, where we host workshops with renowned choreographers from LA
- Get your team picture featured on the Wall of Fame at our studio’s new facility (coming Spring 2020)
- Perform the winning piece at one of the regional competition events in which B2D participates
BENEFITS OF URBAN GAMES:
- Foster collaboration, especially in the case of self-choreographed teams
- Allow advanced dancers, typically from our competition team program, to dance alongside different dancers from what they’re used to
- Cultivate a sense of camaraderie and create a friendly competition atmosphere where victory is rewarded with training opportunities
- The theater-free tournament setup allows for more socializing amongst the dancers, parents, and their friends & family.
Without further ado…. Let the New Games Begin!